Andrew Stiller Writes:

OK, how do I (in FinMac 2K2) put a cautionary key and time change into a measure when the following measure does not in fact change time or key? This comes up because a first ending requires these cautions (the measure to wh. it jumps has the new key and time), but the 2nd ending is unaffected.

I know I can fake this by inserting a slim empty measure for the sole purpose of bearing the key/time change, but must I really resort to this kludge? I have a vague recollection that later versions of Finale handle this problem naturally, so should I just put this project aside till October?

Dear Andrew,

If I understand the problem, there is a change of a key and time signatures in the music before the first ending so that key and time should be restated in the first ending bar before the repeat sign. The second ending will have no key or time signature changes. I did a little exercise to test this using Finale 2003. When I added the repeat and endings, the problem was not handled naturally. Unless 2004 will do so, which I doubt (it's a rare case, certainly), you would have to use the kludge you mention - including setting the slim measure to ignore cautionary key and time signatures. It might just be easier to make a little extra space in the first ending bar and put in graphic signs (or use a superimposed EPS graphic or ossia measure).

If the first ending is at the end of a system and the repeat is to the beginning, I think I would just forget about using cautionary key and time signatures in the first ending. Performers are likely just to react to the opening signatures.

Best wishes,

Hal
--
Harold Owen