Hey! Don't shoot the messenger!  I've seen it happen, that's all.  I've seen
8va markings for extreme ranges ignored, occasionally, sometimes
accidentally, sometimes on purpose.   They seem to be taken less seriously,
sometimes, by some players, then are leger lines.

A typical example: Tuba part has an isolated low A with an 8ba under it.
One player I used to work with, many years ago, would tend to ignore the 8ba
in a case like that and just play the low A, not the pedal A.  If that note,
on the other hand, was written with 6 leger lines and a space, he would have
been less likely to take it up an octave.

Speaking for myself (and most of the good musicians I work with), I always
try very, very hard to play everything the composer writes.  (The most
common exception for me would be something that is commonly written for bass
trombone but makes little effect: a loud, low, pedal note, flutter tongued.
Usually this is more successful without the flutter.)   Just this morning we
got to watch our percussionists running around before dress rehearsal tuning
their wine glasses.   (We also decided that  "He's been tuning his wine
glasses again" is a great euphemism for a percussionist falling off the
wagon.)   And, sure enough, the slow movement of the piece by A. Louie ended
with a beautiful, ethereal chord of wine glasses.  So I'm not saying that
pros don't care.

I'm just trying to help others on the list avoid pitfalls.  These are
in-the-field observations (together with my guesses at the reasoning behind
them), folks.  Just read them and factor them with all the other things
you've learned.  Just don't jump on me for what I've heard and seen other
musicians do!   I've gone through this phenomenon before on this list!
(Remember the scordatura argument?  A pro violin section WON'T DO IT!
They'll tear your piece up first!  If that's what you want written in your
Groves article, fine, but if you want to hear a pro orchestra play your
piece NOW, then put the low F# in the VIOLAS, dammit!  And it's NOT MY
FAULT!  ... There, there, calm down, Ray)

RH