Geez, Roy...you took my message way wrong. When I said "curious," that's
exactly and only what I meant. Nothing more and most certainly nothing
adversarial!

That being said, I can relate to the notion of the player second-guessing
something that seems to be an example of an arranger or composer who did not
seem to know the instrument very well. I would think this sort of thing
varies according to the reputation (if any) of the composer or arranger;
possibly the conductor's influence; and practical factors, such as it
sounding like crap...

--RH