At 08:05 AM 10/4/03 +1000, helgesen wrote:
>I wholeheartedly agree with Ray and others. Players- especially 'non-pros',
>tend to treat 8ves (up or down) as optional. And to Richard- Yes, I'm afraid
>that outside of the "do it or you're fired" world of the pros, leger lines
>are more respected than 8ve etc.

In all this discussion ... where is the conductor? What conductor would put
up with this behavior, pro or not? I've conducted plenty of amateurs, and
by golly they played what was written, or tried to. If there was an
impossibility or poor writing or arranging, it might be time for a change.
As a composer, I'm pretty staggered by this entire aspect of ignoring
notation!

Dennis