Mark D. Lew wrote:
> Certainly.  I thought the question was how *late* it persisted, not how
> early. Pronouncing the -ed as a separate syllable is the earlier
> practice, and is pretty much universal for anything before Shakespeare.

In mid-seventeenth-century English song manuscripts (beginning a bit
after 1635) words with  'd (or just  d  without an apostrophe)
replacing  -ed  as a separate syllable are very common, so one gets the
sense that the separate   -ed   syllable was on the way out (but not
completely).

For example, in Wm Lawes's autograph song book, British Library Add. MS
31,432, the dialogue " 'Tis not boy, thy amorous look", fol. 27v,
systems 3-4, the line "...face soe takes my hart, but lyes confynd,
[="confined"]...[continues and rhymes with] within the birde of thy
mynde [="mind"]", set with two notes for "con-fined" so not a separate
-ed syllable.
The song, "Dearest, all fair", fol. has 37v, has the lines, system 3,
"Such bewtye [="beauty"] fades as soone as blowne, and once enjoyed",
where "enjoyed" likewise is set as two syllables "en-joyed", so the -ed
is not separate.
One other example: "Be not proud, pretty one", fol. 38, system 3:
"Sitts Cupid high Enthrond", with "enthroned" sung as "en-throned", so
the -ed is not separate.

Yet, the song "I would the God of love would die", fol. 31v, has the
line, system 3, "And Armed thus, the fate would proue to wound her
hart," where "Arm-ed" is clearly intended to be two syllables on two
notes.

GJC