At 11:32 AM 10/17/03, John.Howell wrote:

>The whole point--which nobody has actually stated, I think--is that
>every language has its own rules for hyphenation, and applying rules
>from English, or Latin, or any other language simply isn't valid.
>And of course all rules have exceptions.  Do not dictionaries in
>other languages than English give syllable breaks for specific words?

I think most do not.  I have Petit Robert in French and Zingarelli in
Italian, and neither of these show word divisions.  I've never felt any
need for them in Italian, since spelling is so logical and the rules are so
easy to apply. Personally, I find Italian much easier to hyphenate than
English (my native language), where I sometimes have to puzzle a bit over a
break for a short syllable at either end of a word.  Even in English, most
dictionaries only show breaks that would be used for hyphenation in
ordinary text, so it won't tell you what to do with a word like, say,
"very".

The Chicago Manual of Style offers guidelines for word division in several
languages (French, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, classical Greek,
transliterated Russian, and Polish). Most of them, however, are sketchy and
only useful as a general guideline rather than a comprehensive rule.

Another point not yet mentioned is that there are differences between
American and British standards for word division in English. The British
tradition tends to favor derivation over pronunciation (eg, "astro-nomy" vs
"astron-omy"), though my sense is that the American style is slowly gaining
ground over the British.  There are also certain words where differences in
pronunciation justify differences in hyphenation (eg, "pro-gress" vs
"prog-ress").

mdl