At 02:08 PM 12/11/2003, Rob Deemer wrote:
>I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but I've found it to be a
>helpful,
>time-saving process when extracting parts.

Maybe I'm missing something in your description, but it seems like you're taking an awful lot of time to essentially defeat most of Finale's built-in part extraction methods. I'm not trying to start a war of "my method is better than your method", but from your description it sounds like there may be some things you're not aware of.

I think what many people do after they've finished a score (myself included) is to first save a copy of it as a part-generation score. Then I extract the first part and see what needs to be tweaked. Then I go back to my part-generation score and make those changes (move and resize the title, for example), and then just extract all parts. No need to manually copy things between docs, or create multi-measure rests, or any of the things you're doing by hand. Finale even creates part names for me on the first page. The only significant tweaking is putting in appropriate page turns, which you'd have to do anyway with your method.

>The only caveat to this is that you need to make sure all your expressions
>that you want
>to be transferred from the score to the part are note expressions, or else
>they won't
>show up in the part.

This is not true, and it's what makes me think you may be missing some things. If you assign a measure expression to a staff list, you can tell it to behave differently for score and parts. For example, I usually show rehearsal letters in the score above the flute staff and above the Violin I staff, but of course I want them to show up in all extracted parts. By setting up a staff list called "Rehearsal Marks", I can get this to happen automatically when I use Finale's part extraction.

I know that people do develop their own ways of doing things, and I'm sure I have some working methods that others would quibble with, but I think if you're not taking advantage of Finale's part extraction you're missing out on something rather important.

Aaron.