On 18 Dec 2003 at 7:23, Phil Daley wrote:

> At 12/17/2003 03:26 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
>  >Also, having Expose also available for navigating between document
>  >windows *within* an application seems like a very good thing. In
>  >Windows programs, yes, we can Ctrl-F6, but that doesn't have the
>  >visual representation that Alt-Tab has, so you're flying blind.
>  Also, >Alt-Tab cycles through the programs, whereas Expose gives you
>  the >direct path, visually.
>
> The 2 programs I use the most (Eudora and Visual Studio) both have
> buttons (or tabs) for each open item.  There is no tabbing involved to
> switch docs.

You're missing the point -- it's a two-step process, since you must
task switch to the app to then be able to navigate between documents.
And the process is different from that you use for switching between
applications.

In other words, you have to have a model in your head that
distinguishes application windows from document windows (which are
children of an application window), and you have to know which level
to navigate at, and which navigation method to use. Expose provides a
single UI for both levels, and allows immediate access to documents
from the application level, using the same UI for all applications
(instead of depending on the creators of each app to implement their
own UI).

And tabs only work well when the number of tabs is relatively small.
HomeSite uses tabs, but it's very hard to use once you have more than
about 5 documents open (and this is very common for me when working
on a web project).

Of course, Expose wouldn't be very useful with purely text-based
documents like HTML files, especially if those documents were very
similar in their layout. But it *would* be useful for most other
kinds of data, for those people who use multi-task beyond 4 or 5 apps
at a time.