On Friday, December 19, 2003, at 05:36 AM, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

> Really?! This is quite a revelation to me (that's "rev-e-la-tion" not
> "re-ve-la-tion") as I always thought hyphenation was fixed and not
> dependent on pronounciation. Shows what I know.

I am arriving late on this thread. So maybe this has been said 100 times already:

Dictionary hyphenation is for English students and writers.

Singers need to have the consonants put at the beginning of the syllable they are singing.

The two different hyphenations have pretty much nothing to do with each other.

I think the Fred Waring arrangements used to have some "symbolic" pronunciation guide below the text. I believe it has a name, but I don't remember it.

When I first started teaching chorus, I thought this stuff was ludicrous.

After 2 or 3 years of teaching exactly what they were proposing, I saw the light.

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley