On Thursday, December 18, 2003, at 05:35 AM, Cecil Rigby wrote:

What else *would* we use if not use that? (Not a rhetorical question... I'm
open to learning something.)

The other option is to spell out the word properly and completely, allowing what looks like two syllables to appear under a single note, knowing that it will be run together. For example, in a song in which "favorite" will be pronounced as two syllables, you could write out "-vorite" under the second note.

I think that's a little odd, but I've seen it and it's clear enough.

mdl