At 1:20 PM -0800 12/19/03, Philip Aker wrote:
On Friday, December 19, 2003, at 12:28 PM, Weldon Whipple wrote:

The turning point for me was when I travelled from Minnesota (where I lived at the time) to Toronto.

Trawna! But try Gander Newfoundland (and points north), for an ear opener on pronunciation of the English language in North America!

Philip Aker

Try singing this, on four quarter notes in a descending augmented triad (C,Ab,E,C)

"Whale oil beef irked"

You have just perfectly pronounced what many Newfoundlanders might say when told something surprising. ;-)

Christopher