On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

> At 12:18 PM -0600 12/18/03, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:
> >
> >A review of my dictionary shows that all of the multi words which
> >begin with a long "O", including among others, obey, open, over,
> >onerous, and Otolaryngologyst, seem to have the long 'o' as a
> >separate syllable, and those where the o is short, (obliterate,
> >ocular, oligarchy, omniciscient, opera, oven) seem to include the
> >following consonant in the intial syllable.
>
> Hmm, I and my immediate family pronounce "obliterate" and "oligarchy"
> with long o sounds, and "onerous" with a short o. So much for
> generalisations with regional pronounciations, as I would have
> hyphenated those words incorrectly if I had followed your guide.

I long ago gave up using my pronunciation as a bases for hyphenation. I
now look up every word in the dictionary (but which dictionary should I
use?), and use the syllabification I find there as the basis for
hyphenation.

FWIW, I pronounce the initial "o" in obliterate as a schwa (shwa?) sound
...  since it is unaccented.

The initial "o" in oligarchy I pronounce as a short o (since it is
accented).

I pronounce the initial "o" in onerous as a long "o" (but have no idea if
it agrees with any dictionary).

The turning point for me was when I travelled from Minnesota (where I
lived at the time) to Toronto.

In Minnesota, "produce" (the section of of a grocery store where one finds
vegetables, etc.) has a long "o". In Toronto, it has a short "o".

The word "project" (the noun, as in "an engraving project") is just the
opposite: In Toronto, it has a long "o"; in Minnesota a short "o".

I have given up trying to figure out my native language. (Its
pronunciation "rules" no longer make any sense to me ...)

--
Weldon Whipple