On Friday, December 19, 2003, at 12:28 PM, Weldon Whipple wrote:

The turning point for me was when I travelled from Minnesota (where I lived at the time) to Toronto.

Trawna! But try Gander Newfoundland (and points north), for an ear opener on pronunciation of the English language in North America!

Philip Aker

And the LOTR deluxe edition DVDs provide a crash course in New Zealand English, where it seems that the short E always comes out either ih or ee. Talk of "spicial iffeects" and the like ticks some gitting used to.

--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/