On Wednesday, Dec 31, 2003, at 06:25 US/Pacific, David H. Bailey wrote:

But the complaint about Finale's explode function not copying unison sections to all exploded parts...

While I do agree with folks who think that a part-savvy Explode should be built-in, and agree with RGP's comment that it would be better if Finale didn't re-transcribe, it seems to me that this dumb explode situation comes about because people aren't thinking part-wise during score entry.

That is, two instruments on a staff = entering in two layers.

Similarly for other items like learning how to setup a score for page-formatting-wise/part-wise/Midi-wise so that one simply doesn't arrive at problematic situations later on when things are more complicated.

I can see making things like the canonic functions be plug-ins (only problem, they're included with the program, not an aftermarket purchase), but turning the Explode function into a plug-in to work correctly is tantamount to saying "please, somebody else, make our program work properly."

But David, such statements are only a reflection of your use of Finale. It's ridiculous to think that Finale is solely a copyist's application and must cater to things that quill 'n vellumists do. Canonic Utilities is mostly a composers/arrangers tool and as such, a certain section of the user base thinks it's essential--and perhaps that TAB features are a useless waste of Coda's developer resources and ought to be third party plugins.

As mentioned above, if one adjusts their thinking for the electronic medium, things go a lot smoother. Djever hear the story about this farmer who got his first tractor sometime in the 1920s? Comes to the end of ploughing his first row and yells "Whoa Nellie". Damn tractor doesn't stop and crashes into the trees at the end of the field! Well, some of us might think that's akin to "dumb explode".

Best for 2K4,

Philip Aker
http://www.aker.ca