At 02:41 PM 12/31/2003, Philip Aker wrote:
>"appears as two-note chords" (surely you mean dyads)

Yes, thanks. English not so good today. <g>

>is
>precisely the point. Just because I enter in two or more layers,
>doesn't necessarily mean that it ends up looking like a typical two
>layer staff. I may choose to hide notes or output from an auxiliary
>staff to have a "complete part" for instance.

Okay -- but why not just enter the notes once, the way you want them to look in the score, and then use TGTools to extract? I don't doubt that your way works, but it seems like more conceptualizing and more work. Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried the TGTools part extraction?

>Getting things to look and sound right
>occurs at later stages and this is most effectively done if the basic
>"raw material" is in good order. I have evolved my methods since 1991
>but had largely deduced the most effective way to work by late 1992.

I would wager from this that you haven't used TGTools. I have no doubt that your method was as effective as possible 10 years ago, but it probably pales in comparison to what can be done with Finale today. This is a little like saying "Bah, who needs these modern web browsers -- I can get all the info I need with lynx."

(No offense intended by any of this. We all find the working methods that suit us best, but I suspect this method is one you haven't worked with.)

Aaron.