At 9:54 AM -0800 12/31/03, Philip Aker wrote:
On Wednesday, Dec 31, 2003, at 06:25 US/Pacific, David H. Bailey wrote:

But the complaint about Finale's explode function not copying unison sections to all exploded parts...

While I do agree with folks who think that a part-savvy Explode should be built-in, and agree with RGP's comment that it would be better if Finale didn't re-transcribe, it seems to me that this dumb explode situation comes about because people aren't thinking part-wise during score entry.

That is, two instruments on a staff = entering in two layers.

I use Explode regularly for more productive things than two instruments on the same staff. I often write for big band, and homophonic sections are easily entered by holding down big fat 4 or 5 part chords on the MIDI keyboard with one hand while entering the note value with the other, on the first trumpet part for example, then Exploding it to the other trumpet staves. When I get down to unison or two-part passages in a four-man section, I really appreciate TG Tools' options on what to do with the other two or three trumpets. I still use Finale's built-in Explode when I can, as it is faster and under a single Metatool key, but I kind of wish it had some of TG Tools' options.

Also, two layers on a staff doesn't explode to two staves as easily using the built-in Explode function, whereas TG Tools deals with almost anything I have ever thrown at it automatically. Two layers on a score staff automatically means TG Tools for later part extraction in my book.

Christopher