I'm joining little late, I am a composer, many times conducting my own
music.
It really seems like reducing the meaning of music notation to a "big mac".
The position of a note on the staff is not about the absolut pitch only. It
says much about the instrument itself -- all about register, which means
timbre, dynamic, partials, technical difficulties and a subjective pitch.
An easy example of the last one is soprano voice singing f' (written on the
first space) and tenor voice singing d' (written on the fourth line). Tenor
sounds higher then soprano despite their absolut relation.
It is instrumental way of thinking, not MacPianoMIDIKeyboard-like. I do not
mean to offend any piano player, I am trying to explain, that the orchestral
score is not just a kind of extended piano part, but a picture of many
instrumental families -- each of them having their own differences (fancies
some times) and history -- and notating them in a piano way seems just plain
wrong.
Should you want to reject all this differences, then why not just stay with
MIDI?
You say, many don't know or care about this things. So what? Many cannot
tell samples from real recording, uncompressed wavs from mp3s, computer
multimedia speakers... etc.
Or is it just an old european way of thinking... We fight against fast food,
we can't speak plain american english. Some of us drive the wrong side of a
street. Isn't it human? Music notation is not computer data, it needs to be
born...

ok, rant mode off, I know I went too far, no offence please ;-)

with regards,
Abel Korzeniowski