"David H. Bailey" [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The trumpet transposition is so that a trumpet player doesn't have to
> learn different fingerings for A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F, G trumpets -- one set
> of fingerings works for all (with some adjustments for intonation, but
> that happens even between different trumpets of the same pitch.)

At first, yes, but by college and pro level they are playing some D parts on
A, G or Bb piccolo trumpet, some C parts (like the Bartok _Concerto for
Orchestra_ Finale) on E trumpet, some F parts (Mahler Symphonies) on Bb, C
or D trumpet, etc.  They learn to read the part, then pick the best trumpet
for the job.

> If they were all written in concert pitch it would make trumpet playing
> a lot more complicated.

Like Richard Strauss said, (I paraphrase from memory - see his additions to
the Berlioz Treatise on Instrumentation) 'just write the part you want to
hear and the trumpet player will pick the instrument. '

> Same for saxes, clarinets, Oboe/English Horn, and all the transposing
instruments.

What you say is much more true for the woodwinds - they often don't like to
transpose.  Clarinet players usually learn to trade Bb and and A in a pinch.
Bb Bass Clarinet players have to learn to read occasional parts in A.  Sax
players have to deal with occasional parts in F in French literature
(Ravel's Bolero, for example).

Ray Horton