I'm just explaining how it began -- with it in full force for such a long time historically, it's impossible to change.

The fact that the standard band instrument became the Bb instead of the C instrument has no bearing whatsoever on why trumpets are transposing instruments.

But if you wish, you are welcome to hand out your trumpet parts in concert pitch and see what happens. Label it Trumpet in Eb because that's the timbre you want but also note that it's in concert pitch and see how far you get.

It's your call -- do it if it makes you feel better.

Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
But that doesn't explain why the open note on the standard band instrument is written C, but sounds Bb. Why not change it so that all trumpet players read Bb and play Bb, on the usual instrument? I refer you to my original answer.

And by the way, in a professional context even your answer doesn't hold. Many orchestral players use a C trumpet to play Bb parts, they use an A piccolo trumpet to play Bb piccolo parts, they play parts written in low A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F, and G on whatever key trumpet sounds best to them (or that they happen to own and is pretty close in timbre), transposing the fingerings as they go. Tuba players can choose between BBb, C, Eb, F and Bb instruments, all written in concert pitch (British band music notwithstanding) and they have to learn the new fingerings.

Christopher