At 1:04 PM -0500 1/11/04, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
...[clip]  Now, after 436 additional shows at two hours each,
it's become well known. Also, our 100-plus show IDs done for us by
composers all use it.)

Well, whatever works. But "non-pop" strikes me as horrible... for a number of reasons, probably none of them good, since it has succeeded for you. But here's what struck my earL

Non pop equals =

* Not popular (in the sense that people don't generally like it, not in the commercial sense)

* If not pop, then what? It's a negative rather than a positive.

* Cf. above. It's a negative.

* For a "serious" or "art" or whatever genre, it's a pretty "poppy," hip term.

* It's doesn't fall "trippingly on the tongue" in my opinion. It's abrupt and awkward.

I don't like either "classical" (confused with the period) or "serious" (since when was every "classical" piece "serious"... many are tons o' fun), and "art music" (my reluctant preference) seems pretentious. There just isn't a good term. "Concert music'? Not since the Rolling Stones began selling out their concerts.

There just ISN'T a good tag for this music, and maybe shouldn't be. Even "Pop" doesn't adequately describe jazz, rock, country, raom etc,,, which are in turn divided into sub-categories. But Tower Records asks you if you want blues, country, dance, folk, jazz, rap, hip-hop, Latin, Rock, Pop, etc.... OR... yup...
"classical". Period. And I don't think anyone is confused.

Although I am often reduced to calling an entire genre "classical" or "art music" or whatever, I try to be as specific as Tower is with what we call "pop" music. If someone asks me what kind of music I write, I generally say "what kind of music do you want?" because I have done pretty much everything (I can be bought). But,I often say, "My favorites kinds of music to write are symphonic works, chamber music, and music for film or theater.."

That's too many words, perhaps, but it's pretty clear.

And radio programs are called "Evening concert" or "Symphonic Masterpieces" or even "Morning classics" (all of which I've heard on radio stations across the country) pretty much tell it all. any of those can be partly or all "new music," partly or all old music, or a mixture. But no one is going to tune in expecting Eminem or the Beatles (however "classic" the latter might be).

Ah... language... dontcha love it?

Linda Worsley

http://www.ganymuse.com/