At 12:19 AM -0500 1/11/04, Raymond Horton wrote:

  But, even in commercial and quintet
gigs I do see players with C trumpets somewhat more than Carl describes.
Also, many commercial players I see will have a Bb/A piccolo and, often, one
other high trumpet (perhaps a convertible F, Eb, sometimes E).   AND, any
professional trumpeter with a Bb trumpet is going to be used to transposing
from C parts and concert pitch lead sheets, anyway.

All true. I do more studio work than anything else (but I record mostly "serious" or :"classical" music... I call it "art" music, but honestly there is no good word for it, is there?) Anyway, for the studio, and even with music for live performance, I have gotten into the habit of copying two trumpet parts... one in C, one in Bb, and letting the player(s) take their pick. Some of the players have a horn they like best, and I just let them choose. All can transpose quite handily, of course, but why bother when finale will spit out two parts so quickly.

And maybe I'm not a "serious" enough musician, but it's hard for me to tell the difference. Every trumpet, like every other instrument, has an individual sound.

Linda
http://www.ganymuse.com/