At 09:13 AM 2/23/2004, Taris L Flashpaw wrote:
>One other option would be that in newer editions of such music, key
>signatures should be added to the music. I mean, we don't expect horn
>players to be able to turn their horns into a horn in G or a horn in E flat
>just because that's what Mozart asked for, so why shouldn't we add the
>proper key signatures to his music to bring it into line with modern
>notation standards?

You're confusing a couple of different things here. In the case of Mozart, if he wrote for horn in G, the part itself was in G, which is why there was no key signature. You wouldn't add a key signature to these parts, because there's no key signature to add. On the other hand, if you were including parts for F horn for some reason, these parts most likely *would* carry the appropriate key signature.

Aaron.