On 23 Feb 2004 at 17:10, Aaron Sherber wrote:

> At 04:31 PM 2/23/2004, David W. Fenton wrote:
>  >Why not just turn off playback for the dynamic markings, instead of
>  >deleting them?
>
> Because you'd have to turn off playback for each marking individually
> (unless I misunderstand you). Deleting is as easy as Expression Tool
> -- Select All -- Delete.

Well, I was addressing the issue of recovering the original. If you
delete everything, then you're using a copy of the score that won't
be printable, and you have to return to an earlier version of it for
printing after you've created your MIDI file.

My feeling is that if you don't want performance data in MIDI files
saved by Finale, then don't put any in in the first place. Have all
your articulations and expressions defined to not effect performance,
and you won't have to do anything, except turn off human playback (to
ignore the hairpins).

For the person who doesn't want to hear Finale's performance
"interpretations," that would seem the long-term solution, i.e., have
your libraries have no performance definitions.

Of course, I can't quite conceive of why having dynamic marks and
articulations in playback would interfere with aural proofreading, as
one person said, or why you'd want to redo everything in the score
from scratch in a hand-edited MIDI file, but I have very little
imagination, I guess.