On 2/23/04 11:06 PM, "David W. Fenton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My feeling is that if you don't want performance data in MIDI files
> saved by Finale, then don't put any in in the first place.
> <snip>

This was specific to this particular situation -- this was the first score I
worked on in Fin2004, and I hadn't realized just how integrated the
performance data had become in the program -- as I said earlier, had I
known, I would have shut things off as I put items in the score, but
instead, I just went ahead.  What I then needed was a fix to make the MIDI
file I needed for this score.  In the future, I'll be setting up my
libraries the way I need it, believe you me.

> Of course, I can't quite conceive of why having dynamic marks and
> articulations in playback would interfere with aural proofreading, as
> one person said, or why you'd want to redo everything in the score
> from scratch in a hand-edited MIDI file, but I have very little
> imagination, I guess.

I'm sending a PDF of this arrangement to the 16 or so people who will be
coming together to sing it in about two weeks.  What I needed was a MIDI
file for them to listen to as they follow along in the chart and learn the
parts on their own (they're amateur singers with various careers who run the
gamut as far as music-reading ability).  In this case, all they need are the
pitches and rhythms; the expressions and articulations just end up being a
distraction, especially considering that (again, because I ignored them in
the first place) they're not set up to accurately play back what I meant
when I put them in the score.

Actually, this leads me to another topic (perhaps members' answers to this
would start a new thread): as alluded to in my first post,  I've used Finale
as an arranger and an engraver, through many different applications - from
musical theatre to contemporary a cappella to marching band and many more -
and have never found much use for playback, except I guess as a
quick-n-dirty aural proofreader.  I'm curious to know what specific
applications any list members have had that required use of the playback
functions as integral, more specifically applications that required
_accurate_ playback.  Especially since, as I've been reading the posts on
this list, getting accurate playback seems to be a pain in the rear much of
the time.  I guess I'm just wondering what I might be missing, or whether it
would be worth it for me to take the time to get better at it in the future.

Thanks again for the replies and assistance.

-- Mike