On 24 Mar 2004 at 20:19, Daniel Wolf wrote:

> The other rhythmic convention that would be useful to overcome in a
> notation program with playback is the strong bar line aspect of
> Finale.  I would like to have, on the one hand, vertically aligned
> measures but independent metres and playback (as in some works of
> Feldman, for example "Why Patterns?" or "Crippled Symmetry"), and, on
> the other hand,  vertically aligned rhythms but independent  metres
> and bar lines, including, for example, independent and changing tempi
> in separate voices.  Playback of the former is not possible in Finale,
> and the latter can only be accomplished by using, and hiding, a larger
> metre with purely graphic time signatures and barlines inserted into
> the score. (Which. of course, becomes a spacing issue!)

Yes, I'd like that, too, even though I'm only doing music in a
Renaissance/Baroque style (where it's sometimes quite clear that
there are independent meters in each of the parts, and it becomes a
problem only because you're creating a score).

This is the criticism levelled at Sibelius and Finale by the Score
user in the later post on Gann's blog, but the answer given is to
deal with graphics only and not worry about playback, which seems a
foolish thing to do.

Doesn't Igor allow independent time signatures?

I don't see any reason why Finale's frame-based structure could not
be altered in a way that would allow independent frames in each part,
but I don't know what the actually database structure is. My guess is
there would have to be one master "meter" that functions at the same
level as the current base-level measure frame, and then the
independent meters would be built on top of that, in a layer that
currently doesn't in Finale's data structure.

Of course, independent meters still means you are meter-based, so it
still doesn't fix the "cadenza" problem, which a truly musical
notation program *would* fix.

And, of course, there is completely unmeasured music going back
centuries, as well as non-rhythmic music, all of which can be handled
with various kludges in Finale by notating them as though they were
measured and/or rhythmic, but hiding that in the printout.

No Comment Blog               ttp://www.bway.net/~dfenton/NoComment