Hi Brad,

The PowerBook G4 line was *very* recently updated. The official line from Apple is that PBG5's are "still a long ways off." While I was very much hoping for PBG5's in 2004, that hope is looking slimmer and slimmer. Even December 2004 is looking optimistic at this point. I think Apple and IBM are *much* more concerned about meeting Jobs' "3.0 GHz G5 towers by Summer '04" promise right now. They will deal with the portable situation later -- the cooling situation there is just so much more complicated.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't expect some incredible bargain on the PBG4's even after the PBG5's are introduced. (Look at the incredible bargains currently available on G4 towers -- not.) The PBG4's are already *extremely* competitively priced. If that's what you want, you might as well get it now, because I doubt you will save more than $200 or so when the next gen is introduced, and meanwhile your new laptop is delayed until at least January 2005. Don't tell me you couldn't get $200 worth of utility out of a 1.5 GHz G4 laptop between now and then.

If you actually want a PBG5 (like me) then it makes sense to wait. If not, it really doesn't. You might as well buy now.

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY