At 2:58 PM -0400 6/05/04, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 5 Jun 2004 at 1:34, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

 > At 9:29 PM -0700 6/04/04, Eric Dannewitz wrote:

> >Why do you think that? Say you change 8 measures of music, is that
 >going to screw up the whole page format?

 Yes! If you have added notes where they had rests before! Or added
 8ths where they had whole notes, etc. Especially if it's the FIRST 8
 bars. Nothing to do but reformat.

But you'd have to redo it with extracted parts, too, so on this kind of change the two approaches are equivalent.

My point exactly.

But on less drastic changes, such as fixing wrong notes, tweaking
dynamics, changing bowings after a read-through, and so forth, linked
parts would be substantially less work.

Why discard the advantages of linked parts just because they wouldn't
cook your breakfast for you every morning?

Program bloat. Lack of attention to other more pressing (for me!) issues.

If special part extraction kept its
layout settings separate for each part and separate from the full
score, it would provide the linked parts capability I'd like to see.

But it doesn't do that.

Aha! Feature request!
 You are right, that would make the Special Part Extraction all worth it.

But I don't think it's at all valid to use those long-persisting bugs as an argument against no major overhauls.

What if Coda had fixed these bugs of yours instead of re-doing the
text tool back in Finale 3.x? Isn't the huge improvement in usability
of the text tool much more of a productivity improvement than the
fixing of any one of those tiny bugs?

Well, if you asking me personally, I would say no. I don't use text all that often. But hey, don't do anything special for ME, the others might like it that way!

What about the improvements in
page layout in Finale 98 (or was it 2K1?)? Should those have been
left out to fix a number of small bugs, instead?

No, in that case, but I WOULD have sacrificed MicNotator, Optical Music recognition, whatever it's called, and Human Playback, and Auto Word Extensions (as TG Tools had a good method for me), well, you get the idea, I'm sure.

Christopher