David W. Fenton wrote:

On 4 Jun 2004 at 22:17, Mark D Lew wrote:

On Jun 4, 2004, at 9:29 PM, Eric Dannewitz wrote:

Lyric tool works well.

Really? Lyric tool works well if you know what you're doing, or if you never do anything complicated, but it has lots of pit-traps that the unwray can fall into. And there are failings, too, such as control over hyphen behavior.

Well, as much as I complained about lyrics in my first big project with them (in August 2002), now that I learned from all the gurus here on the list, I find it pretty darned easy to use. The main point:

  DON'T USE TYPE INTO SCORE

Once you figure that out, it's pretty easy to use.

But, of course, I thought we were discussing examples of subcomponents of Finale that were majorly overhauled and then never worked right any more. When has the Lyrics subsystem been overhauled and exactly what ended up badly broken?

It hasn't been overhauled, but the point in bringing it up was that it was implemented so poorly that a very major and to many people a very useful aspect can't be used -- Type Into Score was not properly implemented, is extremely quirky to use and very frustrating until you learn DON'T USE IT.

We're just afraid that the parts/score linking might well be implemented in a similarly stupid way that would never be fixed once it was implemented. Who wants valuable development time spent on a feature that we then have to tell newbies not to use, as we have to do with Type Into Score?

Who wants a score/parts linking that would force people to leave it turned off because every time we change something in the score the layout for parts changes even if we are just experimenting? As long as it was user-selectable or a ctrl-l sort of thing such as screen redraw or saving feature or update-layout thing that would only be done when we tell the program to do so.

We're not saying that it would definitely be implemented in the most stupid way possible, merely pointing out that MakeMusic has shown itself capable of doing so and we want to be sure it will be implemented in a useful way.

--
David H. Bailey