On 7 Jun 2004 at 14:40, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> >For me, the advantage of this is that
> >when I find an error which has escaped proofreading early on,  and
> >need to locate the error in the lyric dialogs, the tags make it much
> >easier to be assured I am looking in the right place.
> >
> prompting David Fenton to query:
>
> >Er, I don't understand. What kind of repertory are you entering?
> >15th- century poly-textual motets?
>
> I've not done one of these yet, but I don't very often assign the same
> syllable to multiple notes, either, so if between the various voice
> parts, the word "alleluia" appears thirty five times, it will most
> likely appear multiple times in the lyric area, and having the tags
> makes it easier to find the error when I have mis-spelled just one of
> the instances.

Er, the whole point is that if you didn't type it 35 times, you'd
have much less possibility for mis-spelling it.

> >Why would you *need* to have separate text for the different parts?
> >How different could they be?
> >
> It 's not so much a matter of having separate text, as being able to
> determine more easily while looking at the edit lyrics window which
> syllables are assigned to which notes.

Exactly why do you need to know this?

I have found the advantage of being able to fix spelling and
syllabification errors in one place to vastly outweigh any ability to
have independent lyrics, which can be easily done by adding variants
for those situations.