Dear folks,

Having just returned from a lovely week's vacation, I've enjoyed the current thread. I haven't the slightest idea how it evolved from "Finale vs. Sibelius."

Anyway, I deal with choral music most of the time, and I've settled on Type Into Score - having used Click Assignment after entering the lyrics in the Lyric Edit box long enough to know its usefulness and its drawbacks. I now enter using Type Into Score in Page View so I know what layout problems may arise. I have found a few things that can help:

1) Enter all the lyrics for the highest part before moving to lower parts. This assures that the order of entries will show up in the Edit box in the right order.

2) Small changes of spelling can be corrected in Type Into Score if you catch them quickly. If you go to the Edit box, be sure that you do not add or remove any syllables there. Use it to correct spelling and to add or remove hyphens and to update punctuation.

3) Use Shift Lyrics with care. It can be disastrous if you try to use it after entering many syllables beyond the point there the move should be made.

4) Clone Lyrics can be very helpful, but you should wait until all the lyrics to be cloned have been entered. If you do a section where all parts have the same lyric and use Clone Lyrics, then go on entering new syllables, the order of lyrics will get mixed up in the Lyric Edit box. If you know that, it shouldn't bother you.

5) If you prefer to enter lyrics in the Lyric Edit box, do your editing before you use Click Assignment. If you make changes that add or redistribute syllables after they have been entered, you are in for trouble.

6) Don't use the Edit Lyrics box to erase lyrics unless you want to erase the whole lyric. This becomes necessary if you happened to use a choral piece as a template. Lyrics must be erased in that case. The safest way to erase more than a few syllables is to use the Mass Mover. For one or two, you can do it in Type Into Score or Adjust Syllables.

As long as you learn exactly what the result of an action with lyrics will be, any method of lyric entry will be fine. Learn its good traits and its quirks and don't fight it! Some of my composer friends who started with Finale fought it, then moved to Sibelius. Now they're fighting it too.

Hal
--
Harold Owen
2830 Emerald St., Eugene, OR 97403