Harold wrote:

1) Enter all the lyrics for the highest part before moving to lower parts. This assures that the order of entries will show up in the Edit box in the right order.

It is my experience, going back to WINFIN 2k, that it is more important to enter the first syllable for each staff in the order in which you want the lyrics for that staff to appear in the dialog box. If the work starts with a lengthy solo part in the tenor, for example, you might want the tenor part first, so type the first tenor syllable before you type the first syllable of any other staff line.

However, the custom I have developed is that the very first thing I do with lyrics is go to the "edit lyric" dialog box, type a label and first few words of each line, in the form "[Sopr.] First So-pran-o syl-la-bles [Alto] First Al-to syl-la-bles ..." in the order in which I choose to have the lyrics appear in the dialog box. I then use click assignment to skip the tags, and assign just the first few syllables of each staff to the proper note, before switching to type into score as Harold describes. For me, the advantage of this is that when I find an error which has escaped proofreading early on, and need to locate the error in the lyric dialogs, the tags make it much easier to be assured I am looking in the right place.

I also see a potential, if unintended, benefit in the ability of being able to enter syllables in the lyric block that do not appear in the score. This can help maintain intellectual property rights for an engraver, because a copyright notice can be embedded into the file in a place where it doesn't appear in the score, but where removing the notice would wreak havoc on the lyric underlay. The way this would be done, is to type half of the lyrics in one line into the score, then go to the edit lyrics dialog box, and type the copyright notice, and the first syllable after the notice, and click assign that first following syllable to the proper note. The copyright notice will not appear in either page or scroll view, but will be evident when looking at the lyrics in the lyric dialog box. In a similar manner, intellectual property "brands" [I'm writing from Texas, after all, where brands were used to foil cattle rustlers] can be inserted as unassigned text blocks. and as unassigned text and shape expressions and articulations.

2) Small changes of spelling can be corrected in Type Into Score if you catch them quickly. If you go to the Edit box, be sure that you do not add or remove any syllables there. Use it to correct spelling and to add or remove hyphens and to update punctuation.

There is another capability that is available through the edit lyrics dialog box: the ability to mix fonts in the lyrics. Suppose, for example, that one wishes to type the word LORD in large and small caps. This can be done by going to the edit lyrics dialog, selecting the last three letters, and changing the font size.

ns