At 2:03 PM -0400 7/23/04, Bill Thompson wrote:
John Howell wrote:

The proofreading still leaves much to be desired, and of course NOBODY ever compiles and sends out lists of errata, so every production has to reinvent the wheel.

This thread has been great reading, though I've not worked on a musical in many many years. This last bit, thought, really got my attention. I played in pit bands for a number of years (sometimes miss it) strictly at the academic/amateur level, and we ALWAYS compiled a list of errata, which we sent to rental company when we returned the materials. I don't recall ever seeing one, which was probably why we created it! Odd that this information isn't shared!!!

I'm told that at least one New York show librarian (may have been at Rodgers & Hammerstein) refused to admit that there could possibly be any errors. (Now, about that waterfront property in North Dakota ...) I've sometimes pasted errata lists inside the cover of my books, hoping that at least the next violist to get that book will benefit from it. I have also been known, when an obvious error is identified, to make the correction in ink for the same reason. But it doesn't get into the other sets of parts, or onto the onionskins.

John

-- John & Susie Howell Virginia Tech Department of Music Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A 24061-0240 Vox (540) 231-8411 Fax (540) 231-5034 (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale