On 14 Jan 2005, at 11:59 PM, Eric Dannewitz wrote:

I don't get it. If you can open it once........you can do it again.

Uh, no. Again, if you look at the photo I linked to, you can see there are about 24 clips on this thing that have to be individually detached. There's a *reason* Apple says that memory has to be installed by a certified Apple tech. Opening it seems likely to be at least as tricky as opening an iPod -- and with all of those clips to detach, probably exponentially tricker.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not taking chances. If it turns out to be too difficult to crack, I'll take it to an Apple tech and pay them to install the RAM.

Doesn't say that. Apple says:
"Additional memory should be installed by an Apple Authorized Service Provider." Nothing about losing your warranty.

Actually, if you look here:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

It says:

Memory, AirPort Extreme and internal Bluetooth upgrades ***must*** [emphasis mine] be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider; fees may apply.

That's not a gentle suggestion. That's a requirement.

Again, anecdotal evidence so far suggests that Apple is willing to look the other way so long as you don't actually break anything while trying to crack the case. But clearly it's relatively *easy* to break something while trying to crack the case. Otherwise they would officially allow users to upgrade the RAM themselves, like they do on every other Mac they sell.

Well, its more than $20 but whatever..........it's more like $60 to $80.

Actually, the difference is $20.99:

CRUCIAL:

Upgrade for the Apple Mac mini (G4 - 1.42GHz)
Crucial Part Number: CT431640

1GB DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64

$226.99 -- free shipping

---

DATAMEM:

1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz (Non ECC) 128x64 CL2.5 2.5v 184 Pin DIMM

 $199.00 + $7.00 shipping = $206.00

---

It's possible Datamem doesn't charge sales tax in NY state, which would save me an additional $20, but I can't be bothered to find out right now. I've already stated my reasons for (in this case) preferring name-brand RAM over the generic RAM Datamem sells.

You said yourself Datamem recently sent you a bad module. OWC sent me a bad module recently. Even OWC didn't recommend putting OWC RAM in the Mac mini -- they recommended springing for Samsung memory, which is $259.

Crucial has the best rep in the business, with by far the lowest failure/return rate, which is why so many manufacturers, including Apple, use their RAM. That's worth something to me -- $20, $40, whatever -- it's a small difference. Clearly it's not worth it to you, and that's fine -- you do it your way, I'll do it mine.

And you still are opening the Mini.........as you said you were getting the RAM from Crucial. So, basically, you are still running the risk of Voiding your warranty, damaging your Mini, and buying ram that is way expensive........what was your point?

My point was stated pretty clearly, I thought, but one more time: if I buy Crucial, I'm much likelier to only have to open the Mac mini once, ever -- thus minimizing my risk of breaking something and voiding my warranty. Voiding the warranty is a risk I run every time I open the box, which is not designed for consumers to open , so I personally would rather only open the box once.

I'm not sure why you're being so insistent. I'm not calling you names for trusting Datamem or saying that was a bad decision on your part. More than likely, you will have no trouble cracking open your Mac mini and your Datamem memory will work just fine. I'm just choosing a lower-risk approach, because that's what I'm comfortable with -- and yet for some reason you've gotten bent all out of shape about it. It's a trivial matter anyway -- can we please just drop it now?

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY