On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:14:04 +0100, d. collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Owain Sutton écrit:
>
> >If you feel this way about privacy, you shouldn't be sending messages
> >through mailing lists such as this - sending messages to an unknown number
> >of recipients and then complaining that your address is identifiable is
> >illogical.
>
> No it isn't, since there's no reason it has to be this way. I'm subscribed
> to about a dozen mailing lists, none of which make their archives "public"
> (i.e. have them indexed by Google). Many of them have nevertheless
> searchable archives. On what grounds can you say that a mailing list has to
> be what you would like it to be? The very idea of a mailing list is based
> on the notion of subscription and membership. If you want to participate -
> by posting, reading, searching the archives - you subscribe. If you don't,
> you go elsewhere (Usenet, or whatever) to find what you're looking for.

I think what he's saying is that every message you send to the list,
as well as your email address, can been seen by anybody who sets up a
free (automated and unrestricted) subscription to the Finale list.

A list I subscribe to requires you to answer a few questions from the
moderator before you can be added to the subscribers list. This keeps
unauthorized visitors out (especially since it's the official list of
a professional society), but the Finale list does no such thing.
Anybody can email the mailman robot and get automatically added, no
matter who they are. You have no idea who has done that, so in effect
you are sending messages to an "unknown number of recipients."

--
Brad Beyenhof
[EMAIL PROTECTED]