I know that this topic has been covered in the semi distant past, but to be honest, I wasn't paying all that much attention and it seemed to be working fine for me...

...until today.

Particulars:
FinMac 2005b.r1
PowerBook G4 running system 10.3.9
Microsort Word 2004 v. 11.1

I'm extracting an .eps file from Finale, pasting it into a Word document.

So I do the extraction, choosing PICT preview, include fonts, get the nonsensical warning about Chicago (which I'm not using) not being EPS-able and save the .eps file.

Then I insert the .eps file into Word and all is well. On screen I have a not-too-good preview image, but I can see it. Off the printer it's great.

Then I go back to the Finale file to change the example a bit.
Then I re-extract the .eps file. Same options checked: include PICT preview, include fonts, etc...
Then I paste the new .eps file into the Word Document

Now, instead of the preview image onscreen I see a box that reads
Title:  VN Opening
Creator:  Finale 2005b
Preview: This EPS picture was not saved with a preview (TIFF or PICT) included in it Comment: This EPS picture will print to a postcript printer but not to other types of printers

OK, I understand what it's saying. But I DID include a TIFF preview (and double- and triple-checked it).

Printing (to a printer) the inserted .eps file is fine. Printing to a .pdf file, I get the box with text as above.

Can anyone explain what's happening -- or more important -- how I can get the screen image of the file I've inserted rather than nonsense text?

Thanks!

ng