On May 21, 2005, at 2:22 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

On 21 May 2005, at 2:12 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

Huh? How do you make a PDF a single staff, or a 1-1/2 inch box? I don't know how to do this, but if I did, I would use it instead.

Hi Chris,

Save the page as a PDF, open it in Preview, go to the "Select Tool" (cmd-3), draw a box around the relevant material, and hit the "crop" button (or hit cmd-K).

Hmm, it works as you describe, but the resolution is not very good. I dragged the resulting PDF into an AppleWorks text document, where it looked fine on screen at normal screen resolutions, but it looks like a screen capture when I print it out on my LaserJet 4.

I had heard (from where, on this list? I don't remember.) rumours that PDF's created from the Mac print dialogue box were not as high print quality as printing directly from inside the app, but I can't tell any difference whatsoever on my own printer, printing from Preview, and have not gotten any complaints from my clients yet (mostly on PC).

But for this, importing PDFs into AppleWorks, the problem is very noticeable, and frankly, unusable unless I can control things somehow.

N.B., this only works on single-page PDFs. Preview won't let you crop multi-page PDFs.

Yes, isn't that weird? I wonder what the problem is implementing this?

Christopher