On May 21, 2005, at 9:12 AM, Neal Gittleman wrote:

I'm extracting an .eps file from Finale, pasting it into a Word document.

So I do the extraction, choosing PICT preview, include fonts, get the nonsensical warning about Chicago (which I'm not using) not being EPS-able and save the .eps file.

Then I insert the .eps file into Word and all is well. On screen I have a not-too-good preview image, but I can see it. Off the printer it's great.

Glad you worked it out.

In an exchange with MacSupport, they told me that the ultra low-res preview image was the result of design. If they had included a high-res preview, then your word processing file would have been huge.

I complained, and said that the resolution was so low I couldn't proof my word-processing document without printing it out, which of course adds yet another useless step to the already fussy procedure. I suggested that there be a user-selectionable image resolution, set low by default if they like, but the default should be user-adjustable. Maybe a slider. They said they would forward it to feature requests, but it will die there unless other people write in and ask for it as well.

For a while, I rebooted into OS9 and made my EPS files with Finale 2003, where the preview looked great, but I quickly ran into situations where I needed to make my EPS files from existing 2005 files, and so that idea ran out of steam.

Write in and ask for the option to choose higher-res previews. And while you're at it, ask them why include fonts doesn't seem to work. If I try to print a word-processing document with EPSs embedded on another computer that doesn't have jef chippewa's special JazzCord font on it, then all the chord symbols show up as Courier.

Christopher