On 10 Jun 2005 at 14:00, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

> I have a suspicion at Tiger itself quite a while.  There are at least
> 2 other apps I run displays problem similar to what you describe.  The
> app slows down when Tiger is doing some other task, and the app never
> regain speed until it is restarted (not reboot).  I have pinged this
> to many places but has not received any response yet.  Workaround is
> easy as restarting the offending app.

Now, I'm not a Mac user, so take this for what it's worth (exactly
ZERO), but I know a little bit about how the theory of virtual memory
management is supposed to work.

What you describe sounds to me like a problem with an application
that isn't recovering well from not having a certain portion of the
total CPU usage.

MIDI, for instance, has real time requirements, and is thus supposed
to get pretty high priority (though not as high as something like
disk writes will get). What you describe sounds like the OS swapping
some memory pages (i.e., triggering a disk write), which is going to
be higher priority than the application, and the application is never
recovering back to the level of efficiency it had before the OS
grabbed CPU cycles for swapping.

One thing that has also been something to try on Windows machines
with massive amounts of RAM is to play around with the size of the
VMM's swap file. Sometimes with very large amounts of real memory,
the overhead required to manage it can cause *more* swapping than
there would be with less physical RAM. One strategy is to try making
the swap file very small, so that things basically stay in RAM.

Another setting that many VMMs have is to pre-allocate the file
space, rather than making the swap file sizing dynamic. This is
usually done by setting a minimum size so that the sectors on the
disk are permanently reserved for pages swapped out of memory.

Of course, different VMMs are, well, different, and tuning of
particular parameters may have different effects (positive on one
VMM, negative on another).

But I would also suspect the apps that exhibit the problem of not
being engineered robustly enough if they can't recover from the OS
taking over for memory paging (I'm assuming it's not those apps whose
memory pages are being swapped, which would be problematic and
shouldn't happen if the apps are properly written).