David W. Fenton / 2005/06/10 / 06:34 PM wrote:

>One thing that has also been something to try on Windows machines
>with massive amounts of RAM is to play around with the size of the
>VMM's swap file. Sometimes with very large amounts of real memory,
>the overhead required to manage it can cause *more* swapping than
>there would be with less physical RAM. One strategy is to try making
>the swap file very small, so that things basically stay in RAM.
>
>Another setting that many VMMs have is to pre-allocate the file
>space, rather than making the swap file sizing dynamic. This is
>usually done by setting a minimum size so that the sectors on the
>disk are permanently reserved for pages swapped out of memory.

Photoshop creates a lot of vm despite the size of given scratch disk,
and I was wondering if it was this way before.  But this doesn't
slowdown Photoshop.  Instead, it slows down some other apps that is
running at the moment, and that one's speed is the one doesn't get
recovered until restart.

I have vm_stat printed onto my desktop for real-time monitoring.  There
is no way in Mac to set the size of vm as far as I know.  However, Tiger
did change the vm behavior.

Prior to Tiger, the single vm is limited to 64MB, and create another one
as needed.  Tiger still does this up till 2nd vm, but then the size will
increase:
swapfile0 : 64MB
swapfile1 : 64MB
swapfile2 : 128MB
swapfile3 : 256MB
swapfile4 : 512MB
and so on.

The interesting part of this is that the same Photoshop file produce the
same number of swapfiles between Panther and Tiger, but the size is now
different as you can see above, 320MB vs 1,024MB.  This doesn't make
sense to me.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>