Hi all,

Good news/bad news.

First: the problem is eliminated when I start the system without the Macromanager software that controls the X-keys keyboard. All Finale tools behave as they should. Whew! All the preference file questions, installation issues etc. turned out to be dead ends because it was an entirely different kind of problem, and none of you could have known (Hiro was on the right track when he suggested turning off Quickeys). I should have been looking more closely at the last thing that I changed before the problem appeared. I was seduced into ignoring that because the device itself was working properly, and it had taken me several hours of setting it up through a new piece of software that wasn't exactly transparent in its behavior to get it going. I like using the keyboard. It has 20 programable keys that I have set up mainly to select tools - no menu scrolling, and no mousing on a pallet, just a single push button, and you change to the tool you need. It's so quick that it even renders the selection tool a little redundant.

Lesson learned: I had an emotional commitment to not looking at something that had taken so much effort to set up, and that I like having in the system.

Bad news: I can't use it unless (or until) the software conflict is resolved.

Many of you have been wonderfully patient and attentive as I worked through this yesterday. It may seem maudlin, but the feeling of community and cooperation the comes through on this list is palpable and holds special importance to me because we live so far from most of the community of musicians with whom I share similar relationships. Thanks beyond words.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836