From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of John Howell
Sent: Fri 31-Mar-06 9:41
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] music literacy

At 7:49 AM -0500 3/31/06, Lawrence David Eden wrote:
>I think that what we are discussing here comes under the category of
>musical taste as well as music literacy.
>
>My daughter is an accomplished high school musician.  She plays
>beautiful flute and sings 1st soprano in her school's madrigal group
>and choir...but you probably don't want to copy her iTunes folder!
>I can't believe some of the garbage she listens to.  When I compare
>this to the popular music that I grew up with in the 60's, I am
>appalled at what passes for music today.

Oh, but parents were appalled at what passed for music in the '60s
and '70s (and '80s, I can assure you!), and preachers thundered
against Rock 'n' Roll as the ruination of our youth, and my father
and I really enjoyed the middle-of-the-road dreck that passed as
popular music in the '40s and '50s (Sing Along with Mitch, two,
three, four), and preachers thundered against Ragtime and Jazz and
bobbed hair and short skirts as the ruination of our youth, etc.,
etc., ad infinitum.  What you're saying is that your daughter's age
group is more open minded and inclusive in their definition of music,
and isn't that a Good Thing?

"Well, ya got trouble my friends, right here, I say trouble right
here in River City ..."

John (a classical musician who spent 20+ years as a professional entertainer)

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music

John, I agree in principle with your statement about the past repeating itself,
railing preachers, etc...but as the parent of a 16-year-old son and a 12-year
old daughter, I ask the following:

Did Benny Goodman's music regularly refer to women as "hos" and "bitches"?
Did Elvis's music openly advocate killing policemen?
Did swing music openly advocate sexual promiscuity with no regard to its
physical or emotional consequences? (well, I might have to concede some
there...)
Did Bessie Smith videos (yes, there are a few, I believe) feature her 3/4 naked
and writhing in simulated orgasmic ecstasy?
etc...

As much as I may hate to admit it, I have come to believe that today's "music"
is indeed worse than it was in the past, and I find myself struggling--as a
performer AND as a parent--to cope with the current stuff...or am I too caught
up in today to see history properly?  Though my kids are young, I am 54, so I
have seen/heard a lot of the (r)evolution leading to current trends.

Jim