On 15 Oct 2006 at 0:32, Mark D Lew wrote:

> I remember some crowded and complicated systems where
> I'd spend a half an hour on just one system, to get it just right.
> Loose music, on the other hand, was a breeze and needed few if any
> tweaks.

It seems to me that one of the reasons Score is successful is because
it enforces a lower bound of spacing such that you can't get spacing
that is so tight as to make things go awry.

Finale has no such lower bound, and that is a good thing

It would be nice, though, if some professional engraving standards
were somehow built into Finale so that it could tell you if you've
exceeded standard modern engraving density. A Bärenreiter score is
more loosely spaced than an old Breitkopf & Härtel score, for
instance. Both look fine, but they are using different standards for
what constitutes the lower bound for spacing density. Having that
somehow built into Finale (or a plugin?) would be nice.

And if it were somehow built into Finale, it would make it possible
to control different spacing parameters independently within certain
spacing ranges.

Of course, none of this will ever happen. But it would be nice if it
did.