I have experienced the same as Johannes. I have several, out of hundreds, of CD-Rs with backup files for clients. I can recall at least a half dozen times where I've gone back to retrieve something, and the disc wound NOT mount or would not read the files. Damn, floppies were more reliable in their day!

Now, all my backups go to an external drive and a tape backup. So far, no failures with the tapes, knock on wood.

J D  Thomas
ThomaStudios