On 17 Jan 2007 at 14:46, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 17.01.2007 David W. Fenton wrote:
> > I would agree with this, that they have not by any means been "put
> > to rest", but I think they've been severely damaged, at least in
> > regard to Rifkin's most vehement claim, that the surviving parts
> > could only have been used for one-on-a-part performances. Without
> > that, there wasn't much controversial in Rifkin's original thesis.
>
> They were damaged unjustly, and there has since been a lot of research
> by many others which shows that Rifkin was absolutely correct in his
> assumption. Again, Andrew Parrot sums it up, read it.

I don't have his book, so I can't immediately read it. But there is a
problem with interpretation of the evidence here. If you're conveying
Parrot's case correctly, he's giving the surviving sources more
weight than they can bear.

> If you get a chance I would recommend you to hear Joshua's lecture, it
> is extremely powerful evidence, and I am pretty sure you would
> understand why I fight for him so strongly.

Um, I heard his lecture in 1985. I made the same objections in the
question session after the lecture that I've made here. Rifkin has
never addressed them sufficiently so far as I'm aware.