This sounds entirely like you got caught in local politics. I have seen this kind of thing (not exactly - but similar attitude) when working at the WDR in Koln.

I spent a week there - working with Bill Dobbins, who was then the leader of that band. Bill is a consummate musician and an intelligent, thoughtful and diplomatically astute man. He had his hands full there, and I was so overwhelmed with the "vibe" in the studio that I think I said less and did less to be involved than I have ever done on any project for which I've written the music.

It's not Germany though, because I have had wonderful and welcoming experiences elsewhere - with the NDR Philharmonic in Hannover, for example.

Just thought I'd commiserate on this though.

Chuck