I've lived in Germany since 1989. I can't imagine that there is a law regulating the format of sheet music but there may be either a state regulation for workplaces or an agreement in the individual orchestra's employment contract regarding the legibility of reading materials, i,e, it would be hazardous to the eyes to force an employee to read materials that are too small. If the format of the materials has been specified in the local contract, then the composer would certainly have cause against the orchestra for not having informed him or her about the local requirements at the time of the commission.

I have seen musicians -- in Europe and in the US -- angrily wave the parts about several times. But it usually has more to do with not wanting to play the piece rather than the layout of the parts. In fact, I've often been surprised at how tolerant musicians are of parts with bad page turns etc..