At 5:14 AM +0100 1/28/07, shirling & neueweise wrote:
hi, recently a german orchestra refused to use the parts that i had prepared for them, claiming they didn't meet the laws on minimum size. it must be said that they were looking for pretty much any excuse not to play the piece in fact, and they found one in this law! the festival director worked it out in the end , and apparently the very elegant and well-bound cream-coloured 100g parts i used went in the trash or something and were replaced with photocopies. [snip]

any suggestions?

Law? That would be interesting to hear more about. But MOLA (Major Orchestra Librarians Association, I think) has formulated and posted somewhere on the internet rather strict guidelines, which were recently discussed to death on OrchestraList with composers on one side, librarians on the other, and conductors and players sort of milling around.

MOLA doesn't want ANYTHING on 8 1/2" x 11", 11" x 17", or the European equivalents. They want paper the size of the old Breitkopf and other German editions (tradition!), staves 8.5 mm high for string parts and 8 mm for wind parts (further comment follows), and good quality, heavy weight, opaque paper (with which I agree completely). In other words, parts from e.g. Hal Leonard would be instantly rejected, proving that even if you CAN shrink staff size easily in Finale to fit more on a page, you SHOULDN'T!

I just experimented by printing some parts for my players using an 8.5 mm staff size in one version, with the music spaced well out, and 7.5 mm in a second version, with more music on each line. (This was violin and viol parts to the Rameau "PiƩces de Clavecin en Concerts.") They instantly rejected the 8.5 mm parts and much preferred the 7.5 mm parts. So much for MOLA and their aging orchestra members (like me!) with poor eyesight!!

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music