Many years ago while living in San Francisco I needed to hire a violinist
for a wedding.  A certain player was recommended to me.  I called and he was
available.

When he arrived for the rehearsal I recognized him as a street entertainer I
had enjoyed hearing as I left the Geary Theatre one night.

I asked him if he would be available to play in my orchestra on Christmas
Eve.  When I told him the fee ($100 for the gig) he declined, adding that he
could make twice that playing on the street in front of the theatre at the
same time!

It is not who and what so much as when and where.

Guy Hayden