Hi David and Christopher,

I am not so quick to dismiss the thoughtful list of characteristics David submits here. It points the inexperienced ear in the right direction. Christopher describes the gap between the two experiences pretty much the way it occurs to me - worlds apart.

That said, there's something going on here in my own experience. Midi playback has made me lazy about exercising my inner ear, so my score reading is not what it should be. That's one side of it. The other side is that I seem to have developed a kind of inner translator, an imperfect but useful one, that gives me a decent idea of what to expect from live musicians when I hear the "little kazoo band". (Thanks, Andy Homzy, for that wonderful expression.) Improvements in midi playback are always welcome, but even at its perhaps primitive level of development, it serves its purpose for me.

I don't know how common an experience this is. I can be fooled by some of the better examples (short ones, anyway) that I've heard posted here, I think because my mind is responding to elements of musical design that overwhelm my paying attention to the surface information. If there are no glaring distractions, I am drawn to the musical idea more strongly than I am to the limitations of the sounds.

I already know the sound of a saxophone, or a saxophone section, and I am disappointed by midi reproduction of that. (I always know immediately when I'm hearing midi saxes.) But my mind translates it pretty well, and I am able to tell if I have written what I want, even with the limitations of the midi sax sounds. (Only the bari comes close enough to recognize as a sax sound in Garritan JABB, and it's not because Gary and Tom haven't worked on it, or because they started with bad samples. It has to be something in the nature of the saxophone sound envelope as played by live musicians that is so different and has so much more variety than what the machine creates.)

The brass sounds aren't so hot either - but they do their jobs for me in providing a useful sketch, and the percussion sounds, including guitar, piano and bass, seem pretty good to my ear.

What is never right - in my scores, are the balances. Those things change so rapidly in a live performance, that I can't even imagine the amount of work it would take to include them in sound created by a machine, and whatever you created that way would change in the next live performance. So I mistrust the midi playback for this and apply my experience with live bands to judge whether or not I have a chance of having written what I want.

Darcy has made thoughtful suggestions to Garritan for improvements in the balances, things that would get them started with a closer approximation of what you'd hear a band play, but those things vary so much from band to band that I'm not sure there is a "right" way to set up the midi balances. Orchestral balances are more standardized - maybe as a result of having refined them over the long history of orchestral music and the constant adjustments that have been made in numbers of players in the sections and the traditions of orchestral playing.

We have a tougher time in jazz bands. The traditional instrumentation is dynamically out of whack to begin with, and few bands compensate for this in a way that would satisfy my musical vision. (It is possible to do - check out The Sultans of Swing recordings for a contemporary example, or the Basie, Ellington and Mulligan bands for historical standards of balances that work.)

So what I want to suggest to users of this technology is something like: Check your pitches and rhythms, with the understanding that subtleties in each of those areas will be changed by live musicians (in good and bad ways!), and try to get an idea of the overall textural and timbral (is that a word?) structure - the similarities and contrasts. Then imagine that most of them will be vastly improved in any halfway decent live performance.

Hows that for a cautionary instruction?

Thanks for the help in thinking about this.

Chuck