Thanks, David. I have indeed tried the list and the demo. Because I use Simple Entry, as I said, Sib5 didn't seem so foreign. Also, call it petty, as a composer, I resent having to work around having to use key signatures. Though my work is tonal, it is highly chromatic and sigs are annoying. Further, as a horn player, I find it disconcerting to put things into a C score to work around. Is it so difficult for MM to add "no key/atonal" to the choices? As a composer I also like Sib's "Ideas" folder and the ease with which I can jot (so to speak) a sketch and file it for later. Fin has no such convenience. It's all these little things, and MM's reluctance to change, that have made my decision. It may be that MM is happy with the education market and has no intention of accomodating the professional composer/engraver. Else why would they be so unconcerned? Simply the volume of negative remarks on this list should be worrying someone at MM, but I see no reply from them as yet. MM is well on the way to becoming the FEMA of music engraving!

Bruce Clausen

----- Original Message ----- From: "dhbailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2007 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] Goodbye Finale

Bruce Clausen wrote:
I've been pondering whether to get the Finale 08 or Sib5. After seeing the remarks of the past few days I believe I will invest in the Sib and see how it goes. I've always used Simple Entry, with mouse and computer keyboard, so the learning curve may not be as steep. I, too, am tired of MM upgrading but not improving. Wish me luck!

You might try downloading the demo first and trying it out before buying it. It isn't for everybody.

--
David H. Bailey